There was a time when I was buying my son’s organic applesauce because I didn’t want to make it. I thought: it’s good enough. Until I tried it. It didn’t taste anything like the one I made. So, I ditched the store bought one and now, we just make our own. It’s actually super easy to make and we call it:
The Best Applesauce Ever! 🙂
Here’s the recipe:
* 1/2 cup of water
* 5 chopped up apples (depending on their size)
* Juice of 1 lemon
* 2 tsp of cinnamon
* 3 TB of ghee – you can also leave this out if you want. I add it in there so my little guy gets a healthy dose of fat (you could also substitute it with almond or some other nut butter).
1. Bring the water to a boil in a small sized sauce pan
2. Add the apples, lemon juice, cinnamon and stir to mix it up
3. Boil for 5-10 minutes
4. Add ghee and stir to get it all yummified
5. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes
6. Use a handheld mixer or blender (I use this one here). I just blend it right in the pan.
7. Smile and enjoy the yum sauce! 🙂
We usually use take some soaked chia seeds and then mix it with the applesauce to make a delicious snack.
Brian recorded me making a vegan version of this about 6 years ago that you can watch below. I don’t eat the peanut butter anymore but I hope you at least get a good chuckle out of seeing us laugh! Omgoddess! The video is pretty ridiculous but the recipe is actually really good if you want to make a snack in less than 5 minutes.
Applesauce Sorta Stuff Recipe:
I was inspired by Diane Sanfilippo’s Practical Paleo carrot gingerbread muffins so I created a different version. I excluded the maple syrup/molassas and added ghee, pumpkin pie spice + turmeric and a few other changes. They actually tasted way better than they looked (haha). We all really enjoyed the turmeric coconut butter. Super yummylicious. It made it feel like a decadent breakfast. 🙂
1/4 c ghee
1/4 c coconut oil
1/2 c. coconut flour
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
pinch of baking soda
pinch of sea salt
3 drops of vanilla medicinal extract (or 1/2 tsp of pure vanilla extract)
1 TB xylitol (more if you like sweeter)
10 drops of stevia
1-2 TB grated ginger
2 1/2 cups of carrots (can do 3 cups if you want)
Turmeric Coconut Butter:
1/4 c. coconut oil
1/4 c. coconut butter
1 tsp of grated ginger
1 tsp of turmeric
1 TB of shredded coconut
1/2 TB xylitol
5 drops of stevia
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease 12 cup muffin tin with coconut oil or ghee.
3. Whisk eggs, coconut oil, ghee, vanilla extract, xylitol, stevia in a mixing bowl. Then, mix in the cinnamon, pumpkin spice, baking soda, sea salt, coconut flour, Lastly, stir in the shredded carrots and ginger.
4. Add about 1/4 cup of batter in each muffin cup and bake for 35 minutes.
5. Then, add all ingredients for the turmeric coconut butter into a small pan and warm enough so that it starts to melt. Then, either blend or use an immersion blender to mix it up.
Enjoy the deliciousness!